2.02.2010

Roo Clues on the Mind

My profound interest in new music can leave you quite annoyed. Ask any of my friends. It usually goes something like this, “Have you heard this new band ‘x’? Come with me to the show next month!” “Yeah, sure Rob. Whatever.” I have adjusted to these constant rejections, but take comfort that I have found my go-to concert loving friend to accompany me to almost all shows of interest. Thank God for Sam!

Thanks to BonnarooClues, (and Twitter in general) the relentless banter I continue to throw at my friends has only gotten worse in recent weeks. I think it is safe to say I am not alone on this one. The annual Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee has implemented one of the best PR teaser campaigns in the new digital age. Powered by Twitter, it keeps festival-goers guessing who will make an appearance at the 2010 festival. Their Twitter feed is continuously updated with what they call “BonnarooClues,” giving vague insight into the highly anticipated 2010 lineup, out Feb. 2.

Clues:
Time for you all to step up your clue-cracking game. Today I give you this -- 'The warmest monkey and offspring' -- Stay tuned for more.
My Guess: The Gorillaz

It's Saturday! Time for cartoons. Today's clue: 'Tom And Jerry, without Art.' #bonnarooclues
My Guess: Paul Simon

Lollapalooza also has its own social media campaign. “Be the Lolla Booking Agent! Tell us 5 artists you want on the 2010 lineup. We’ll review 'em & try to work some magic.” Even though I have already submitted my five, it just doesn’t have the same appeal. We know who is touring this summer, and artist schedules are essentially finalized. It leaves behind more of a “how much influence will I really have” feeling.

Conversely, Bonnaroo followers constantly have “The Roo” on their minds, ransacking their brains for who each clue could lead to. By tagging #bonnarooclues, fans can feed off each others thought process and work together to uncover the artist behind each clue. As if we weren’t excited enough, this teaser strategy only heightens our anticipation for the festival. Followers can also share their frustrations or anticipations. The reactions have been a mixed bag:

The long day continues...#bonnarooclues YOURE KILLING ME!!!
sarah_maria

I'm in "clue withdrawal" can't wait to get back-ta guessin' tomorrow. #bonnarooclues

The reaction type doesn’t really matter. At the end of the day, talk is talk and BonnarooClues has definitely got people talking.

Here are some photo highlights to give you a glimpse of what all the buzz is about:


No comments:

Post a Comment